In the development of this workpackage the following lines of research will be activated:
· Development of new molecular probes targeting the apoptotic process at different cellular level with the attainment of a series of compounds that will be labelled with both gamma and positron emitters. Characterization of radiolabel compounds in cultured tumour cell lines and imaging in animal models by SPECT/PET.
· Development of MRI/MRS imaging modalities to detect apoptosis at lipid rearrangement levels with comparative evaluation of sensitivity and cpecificity of different MR-imaging methods in pre-clinical tumour models following treatment with anticancer agents.
· Imaging of apoptosis at mitochondrial level using SPECT in cancer patients following treatment with anticancer drugs
· Testing multimodality imaging of apoptosis. Development of imaging protocols and standardization of procedures for clinical applications.
· Identification of new molecular targets suitable for apoptosis imaging at signal transduction levels. Structural, biochemical, and functional studies of the new targets.